The Royal Highlander festival takes place in Gasa district where a unique people group of Bhutan. This people are called layaps for they live in Laya, Gasa. They have unique language, dress and culture. They are nomadic life rearing Yaks.
The Royal Highlander festival was first introduced on 16th Of October in 2016 to mark the celebration of the birth of HRH the Gyalsey (Prince); 400 years of Shabdrung Rimpoche and the Rabjung (60 years cycle) birth year of Guru Rimpoche. This festival shares the beauty and the wonders of Gasa District through its nature, history and its age old tradition and culture. It also shares authenticity and the simplicity of the life of the Highlanders with tourist.
During the festival, guests can witness the traditional offering of Buelwa (Gift offering) with Auley (traditional epic poem/song recitation tradition originated from Zhabdrung Rinpoche days) that begun during Zhabdrung Rinpoche’s reign in showing loyalty and respect by the community of Laya is being offered for dynamic and visionary leadership of our successive monarchs. Various cultural programs and competition are held for celebration.
Cost: US$ 2500 per person in a group of three or more.
- Government Royalty: USD 65 per Person per Night.
- 2% Government Tax per Person per Night.
- All Meals.
- Daily Mineral Water.
- English Language Speaking Guide.
- Comfortable and Luxurious Imported Cars for Internal Transportation with Skilled Driver.
- Entrance fees for Museums.
- The Government set package rate is valid for accommodation on twin sharing basis.
- A minimum of 3 star accommodation (4 & 5 star may require an additional premium).
- Airfare international & Domestic.
- Travel Insurance.
- Personal shopping.
- Tips for Guide & Driver.
DAY 1- ARRIVAL Paro, THIMPHU
DAY 2- THIMPHU – PUNAKHA
DAY 3- PUNAKHA TO GASA – THONGCHU ZAM CAMP
DAY 4- TONGCHU ZAM – LAYA
DAY 5- LAYA (2 DAYS FESTIVAL) 1st Day
DAY 6- LAYA (2 DAYS FESTIVAL) 2nd Day
DAY 7- LAYA – THONGCHU ZAM
DAY 8- THONGCHU ZAM – GASA
DAY 9- GASA – PARO
DAY 10- Hike Takshang Paro
DAY 11- DEPARTURE TO NEXT DESTINATION
Contact us for further itinerary details 🙂